Captain Dale Wilson's
Smith Mountain Lake Guide Service
March Fishing Report
OVERVIEW: Fishing should get better every day!
• Largemouth Bass- Fishing for largemouth bass will be good this month. Best lures will be jigs, drop shot rigs, crank baits, spinner baits, buzz baits, Texas rigged plastic worms and
• Smallmouth Bass- Fishing should be fair. Best areas will be rocks, humps, ledges, stumps and secondary points. Best lures will be jig & pig, tubes, hair jigs, crank baits and top water lures. Best areas will be in the mid to the lower sections of the lake. Most smallmouth bass will start to move towards their spawning areas this month. Cloudy days with light winds are good times to try your luck! Light line and smaller lures will increase your chances to catch smallmouth bass.
• Striped Bass- Fishing will be good. Stripers will be caught in the various sections of the lake and in
• Crappie- Fishing for crappie will be good this month. They will be found 2 to 10 feet deep. Best areas will be in the main creeks around docks, fallen trees, and brush piles in the mid to upper sections of the lake. Small live minnows and 1 ½ to 2 inch
• TIP OF THE Month: Weightless plastic lures are a good method to catch bass this month. The bait fish will relate to the super shallow areas at night during their spawning time. Most of the time early morning and late evenings are the best time to try your luck! Make sure you wear your life jacket. You can never be too careful when boating. Remember to be courteous and obey all the boating laws. Please practice catch and release. Take a kid fishing!