May Fishing Report
- OVERVIEW: Fishing should be good this month! Water temperature will be in the 60’s to lower 70’s. Baitfish will start to spawn mainly at night this month. Most species of fish will feed actively this month as they prepare for the pre and post spawning season.
- Largemouth Bass- Fishing for largemouth bass will be good this month. Best lures will be jigs, drop shot rigs, top water lures, spinner baits, buzz baits, Texas rigged plastic worms and senkoes. Most largemouth bass will be caught near secondary points, protected pockets, stumps, rip rap shorelines and docks. Best depths will be from 2 to 10 feet deep. Most largemouth bass will be spawning or have already spawned. Rocks, stumps and shallow brush are key factors to finding bass this month. Please practice catch and release during the spawning season.
- Smallmouth Bass- Fishing should be fair. Best areas will be rocks, humps, ledges, stumps and secondary points. Best lures will be jig & pig, tubes, hair jigs and top water lures. Best areas will be in the mid to the lower sections of the lake. Most smallmouth bass will be near their spawning areas this month. Cloudy days with light winds are good times to try your luck! Light line and smaller lures will increase your chances to catch smallmouth bass.
- Striped Bass- Fishing will be good. Stripers will be caught in the mid to lower sections of the lake and the larger creeks. Best lures will be jerk baits, swim baits, top water poppers, Thundersticks, Red-fins and Zoom flukes fished on 1/4 to 3/8 oz. lead heads. The best depths will be from the surface to 30 feet deep. Baitfish will be spawning near the shorelines at night. Live bait will work this month. Night fishing will be good this month.
- Crappie- Fishing for crappie will be good this month. They will be found 2 to 10 feet deep. Best areas will be in the main creeks around docks, fallen trees, and brush piles in the mid to upper sections of the lake. Small live minnows and 1 ½ to 2 inch tubes or shad shaped plastic lures fished on 1/32 to 1/16 oz. lead heads will work best to catch crappie this month. Some crappie will be spawning this month.
- TIP OF THE Month: Most of the larger fish will feed mostly at night this month because the shad will be spawning. Make sure you wear your life jacket. You can never be too careful when boating. Remember to be courteous and obey all the boating laws. Please practice catch and release. Take a kid fishing!